Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Book Review: Flash and Dazzle by Lou Aronica

Flash and Dazzle
By Lou Aronica
Release Date: November 5, 2013
Source: Publisher
Summary: What happens when everything you thought was true changes all at once? What happens when each relationship that means anything to you suddenly becomes far more real than you ever thought it would be? What happens when every moment becomes invaluable as all of them pass far too quickly?

Flash and Dazzle is the story of two friends who have known the best of times who develop a true taste for life during the worst of times. It is the story of the friends and lovers who enter their orbit, some for a long time and some only for a moment. It is the story of legacies, burdens, and the kinds of secrets that are only revealed when there’s nothing left to tell.

It is a funny, moving, deeply honest novel that will inspire you to call everyone you care about and thank everyone you know for what they’ve given you.

Review: It's no secret that romance is my genre. Normally, if the plot doesn't revolve around romance, I'm not that big of a fan. So when I was asked to review Flash and Dazzle, I was a bit skeptical. A book about best friends? And not a romance? But I decided to give it a go, and I'm so happy I did!

Rich and Daz have been best friends since their Freshman year of college, and have gone through life together as the dynamic duo Flash and Dazzle. Working together in advertising, the guys have fallen into a routine of working at a job they love and just loving life. But when something life changing happens to Daz, the best friends soon embark on an emotional journey, testing just how strong and deep their friendship really runs. 

Wow. Who knew a book about two guys being best friends could be so good? The story is told through Rich's (Dazzle's) point of view, and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. Rich is such a complex guy and he really loves Daz (platonically), so getting to know Daz through Rich's mind gives us a much deeper understanding of a guy who seems like Mr. Perfect to everyone else around. Their friendship is something that everyone, well at least I, can relate to and it's truly put to the test as these guys go through life changing moments together. 

The life Rich and Daz have together is so fun and I love all of the little details. Whether they're playing video games, eating out, or working at their super cool office, the guys are just happy living the way they do. I love their little quirks and obsessions, especially who obsessed Rich is with food and Daz is with music. These guys just find joy in the little things. I think that's why it's so emotional when Daz gets the life changing news and their entire world comes to a stand still. This book really gets you thinking about life and relationships, and how you got to where you are today. 

What more can I say? Flash and Dazzle was an absolutely phenomenal book that just pulls at the heart strings. It's light and fun while being heavy and serious all at the same time. Their story reflects life in such a perfect and endearing way, and I ate up every word of it.


3 comments:

  1. I find it weird that the book has a cover of a guy/girl and it looks romantic-ish but then i find out it is about two guy best friends? weird… but like you, i love my romance related books but i do know from time to time friendship books are AWESOME!

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the terrific review, Jessica. I'm so glad you enjoyed FLASH AND DAZZLE.


    Best,
    Lou

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so different and great! I haven't read many books with male friendships as the central point, and I really like that change. I'm going to add this to my list!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...