Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Things I Like/Dislike When It Comes to Romance in Books




This is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish where each week bloggers share a list of books for the prompt given. So hopefully I'll have a new list to share with you all each week!

This Week's Topic: Top Ten Things I Like/Dislike When it Comes to Romance in Books

Dislike 
1. Insta-love 
I feel like this one is going to be on everyone's list this week. Who likes it when the two characters have just met and then *BAM* they love each other. The fun is in the growth of the relationship! 

2. Cheating
I really don't like cheating. Seriously, if you're unhappy with who you're with, just dump them! If they're awful and the reader really hates the person that the main character is cheating on, then there isn't even a point for the main character to still be dating that person in the first place. 

3. Romantic interests who are super good looking and everyone stares at them all the time, everywhere they go
There is nothing I hate more than the character noticing how EVERYONE is staring at their romantic interest when they walk into a bar or a club because they're so good looking. Ummm, that doesn't happen in real life. Sorry. 

4. When authors tell, not show, the romance
I had the problem recently where I read a book and didn't feel any of the romance at all. Sure, the author said that they really liked each other, but I wasn't getting romantic vibe whatsoever. I want to feel their romance and passion, not just see it from the sidelines. 

5. They get scared every other page and run away over and over again
I get that some books take awhile for the main characters to get together because they may have been hurt in the past, but I hate it when they get together, break up, get together, break up, and on and on in only one book. It gets tiring after awhile. 

Like
1. They were best friends first
There's nothing like a romance where the guy and girl are already best friends and are too scared to admit their feelings for each other. I know it may seem cliche, but the struggle to give into their feelings is real because it's risking a friendship that they really don't want to end. 

2. The guy is a bit possessive
I don't know why, but I like it when a guy is possessive of his girl and really cares about her. I don't like it when he assumes every guy is making a move on her, but it's nice to see a guy really show his love everyone once in awhile. 

3. The guy and girl a opposites
It's so much fun to see a guy and a girl who are opposites fall for each other. Maybe the girl is super shy and the guy is the "bad boy" or the guy is more on the quiet side and the girl is really outgoing. Either way, I like it when opposites attract! 

4. The couple does normal things together
One moment that really stands to me that I absolutely loved in a book I read was when the guy and the girl watched Game of Thrones together. It's something so normal, but so relatable and I just love it when couples do normal things together. 

5. Characters who aren't perfect looking, but are more average
I am so over books that describe the guy being super muscular and having an amazing body. Ummmm I don't know about you, but guys my age definitely aren't all super muscular with six packs. I like it when the main characters are just average and not the most beautiful person in the room. I think that's why so many people loved Eleanor and Park-- it had realistic characters whose quirks made them so lovable. 

9 comments:

  1. OOh nice! I agree with these picks too! I somehow forgot about insta love!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about the being hurt in the past and therefore having this on and off relationship. That can be really annoying, and is not really a good way to write if you want to create a good book.

    Great list :)

    Cucie @ Cucie reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh I really dislike the perfect character trope. It gets so repetitive and ... kinda boring! I like something a bit more realistic, and flaws are usually so much more interesting to read about :) Great list!
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list! Yeah, super hottie hotness is kind of annoying, everyone should have some flaws. I'm not a fan of possessive guys, though. I'd be out if there pretty quickly. I kind of modified the topic a bit, here's my TTT

    Michelle @ Michelle's Minions

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the best friends trope. It's the cute awkwardness that draws me in!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree on #4. Those are really annoying. Like when you are sitting there reading like "okay so you clearly want me to ship this but I don't get it and I don't like it, so I won't and you can't make me!" It takes me completely out of the story. That happened to me recently and I did not enjoy it at all. I also really like the opposites attract and best friends become more. Great list!
    Cassi @ My Thoughts Literally

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I forgot all about the getting scared! Yes that drives me insane. I've read it done well once (Julia Quinn's The Viscount Who Loved Me) but for the most part it makes me want to reach into the book and slap them. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have seen insta-love and cheating on many lists and it is on mine too. I also love friends-lovers romances and and average-looking characters. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...