Friday, March 4, 2016

Blocked by Jennifer Lane

Blocked (Blocked #1)
By Jennifer Lane
Release Date: October 21, 2014
Source: Publisher
College freshman Lucia Ramirez has a secret crush on Dane Monroe. He’s a tall drink of water — blond, brash, and one hell of a volleyball player. ¡Híjole! Lucia hopes her volleyball scholarship to his school will make him notice her.

Too bad what’s noticeable is Dane’s obvious hatred for Lucia. Her family’s politics contradict everything he stands for. And politics are front and center in both their families. Dane’s mother is about to face Lucia’s father in the race for US President. 

When Secret Service throws them together, Dane can’t deny his frustrating attraction to Lucia’s athletic curves and sweet faith in the world. Amid the intense pressure of college athletics and presidential politics, can opposites not just attract, but overcome overwhelming odds to be together? Or do their differences block their match from the start?




Sports romance is easily one of my favorite genres. Throw in new adult and you bet that I'm going to read that book. Blocked seemed like it was going to be a great sports romance revolving around volleyball, but sadly it lacked the heat and romance I need in my romances. 

Lucia Ramirez knows that her freshman year isn't going to be the normal college experience as she brings along her secret service thanks to her father's run for president of the United States. What she doesn't expect, though, is to have to live with Dane, her father's opponent's son who also happens to be incredibly attractive and incredibly hostile towards her. Dane doesn't need Lucia distracting him from volleyball and his mother's run for presidency, but he can't get her out of his head. 

Looking at this cover, I expected some serious heat and romance, but sadly I felt like that fell to the wayside and instead focused on pretty much everything else. Both Dane and Lucia were tested emotionally regarding their sports and their families, which ended up taking a lot of focus of the story. Also, there was the whole presidential race between their parents. I felt them becoming friends, but I didn't really get the chemistry between them and there really weren't that many, um, steamy moments between them. I wanted so much more passion and romance, but instead got politics and mental health issues. 

What I am happy about, though, is that we actually got a lot of sports. I would have liked to see more of Dane playing volleyball, but it was the off-season for the guys, so we only got to see him practicing every once in awhile. As for Lucia, I liked the volleyball parts, but her coach seemed a bit too unbelievable with what he got away with and her teammates seemed to have convenient personalities to fit her story. 

Overall, Blocked was just an okay read for me. While I got the sports aspect that I love, the book was severely missing the romance, passion, and heat that I love.


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking the time to read and review, Jessica! I'm from Ohio too, and live in Columbus. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made some decent points there. I looked on the internet for the issue and found most individuals will go along with with your website.
    Poznan.pl
    Boekenlijst1418.nl
    Sktk.pl

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...