Sunday, January 29, 2017

Book Review: Checkmate: This is War by Kennedy Fox

Checkmate: This is War (The Checkmate Duet #1)
By Kennedy Fox
Release Date: October 3, 2016
Source: Amazon
Travis King is the worst kind of asshole.
He taunts me for being a good girl and mocks my high standards.
He’s cruel, crass, and has enough confidence to last two lifetimes.
And I hate him.

It wouldn’t matter so much if he were avoidable.

But considering he’s my older brother’s best friend and roommate, I see him more than I’d ever want to.

His sculpted abs and gorgeous eyes are a waste on such an egotistical man, which makes me hate him even more.

Even though I’ve had a crush on him since I was ten, the feelings weren’t mutual and he’s always made that very clear.

He’s always loved getting under my skin and one night against my better judgment, I let him in my bed.

I’ve succumbed to his manwhore ways, but that doesn’t change a thing.

Because the King is about to get played at his own game—and lose.

Checkmate.
 




After seeing this book on Sarah's Instagram, I knew that I had to read it. I love books where the main characters bicker and hate each other but also have undeniable chemistry. This one sounded like so much fun and I couldn't wait to finally read it. 

Viola and Travis used to be best friend, even though Travis was also best friends with Viola's older brother. As they grew older, though, Travis betrayed Viola's trust and they grew to hate each other. With no place to stay over Spring Break, Viola decides to stay with her brother, who happens to be roommates with Travis. When her brother leaves to spend a few weeks with his long distance girlfriend, Viola finds herself in her worst nightmare: Rooming with Travis. While there may be an inexplicable pull between the two, Travis and Viola are determined push each other's buttons and drive the other crazy before their two weeks are up. 

Normally I really hate it when the guy is a player and constantly hooks up with other girls, but there was something so endearing and hilarious about Travis. He was so funny and he also proved to be really sweet and caring. I loved slowly learning about his past with Viola and uncovering what really went wrong with them when they were younger. I also loved how he was actually really a hardworking guy who cared about his career. 

As for Viola, I also really enjoyed her character and the games she played with Travis. There were laugh-out-loud moments with the tricks they played on each other and how much they would push each other over the edge. They also had their sweet and more passionate moments, which I also loved. And that ending! I definitely have to get my hands on book two ASAP!

If you haven't check out Kennedy Fox yet, you must. This secret duo of authors sure know how to write a fun romance with endearing characters who you can't help but love.



1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...