Friday, April 14, 2017

Book Review: The Law of Moses by Amy Harmon

The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses #1)
By Amy Harmon
Release Date: November 18, 2014
Source: Amazon
If I tell you right up front, right in the beginning that I lost him, it will be easier for you to bear. You will know it’s coming, and it will hurt. But you’ll be able to prepare.

Someone found him in a laundry basket at the Quick Wash, wrapped in a towel, a few hours old and close to death. They called him Baby Moses when they shared his story on the ten o’clock news – the little baby left in a basket at a dingy Laundromat, born to a crack addict and expected to have all sorts of problems. I imagined the crack baby, Moses, having a giant crack that ran down his body, like he’d been broken at birth. I knew that wasn’t what the term meant, but the image stuck in my mind. Maybe the fact that he was broken drew me to him from the start.

It all happened before I was born, and by the time I met Moses and my mom told me all about him, the story was old news and nobody wanted anything to do with him. People love babies, even sick babies. Even crack babies. But babies grow up to be kids, and kids grow up to be teenagers. Nobody wants a messed up teenager.

And Moses was messed up. Moses was a law unto himself. But he was also strange and exotic and beautiful. To be with him would change my life in ways I could never have imagined. Maybe I should have stayed away. Maybe I should have listened. My mother warned me. Even Moses warned me. But I didn’t stay away.

And so begins a story of pain and promise, of heartache and healing, of life and death. A story of before and after, of new beginnings and never-endings. But most of all...a love story.




Before this book, I had never read a book by Amy Harmon. WHAT WAS I DOING WITH MY LIFE. Seeing as I fell deeply in love with this book, there are definitely more Amy Harmon books I'm going to be reading in my future. 

Moses was found abandoned in a laundromat when he was just a baby. Everyone knows his story and everyone knows there's something just not right about him. Georgia has heard about Moses and how everyone leaves him alone, but when he starts working around her parents' horse farm, she can't stay away. She knows she should leave Moses and his mysterious, brooding ways alone, but Georgia is intrigued and enters in a whirlwind relationship that she will never forget. 

Holy moly, this book. I heard that this book would make me cry and I definitely didn't expect that to happen…but it did. Seriously. While I was reading, I felt tears in my eyes and when I started to talk about this book to my sister, I couldn't finish talking without crying. Ugh. Yeah, it's that kind of book. The blurb is very vague and that is definitely for the best. I went into this book completely blind and I was swept off my feet. I fell in love with Moses and Georgia and their heartbreaking journey through love, loss, and living. Moses was such an intriguing character and I loved how Georgia didn't shy away from him like everyone else in their town did. Moses tried so hard to push her away, but with someone as headstrong as Georgie, that wasn't going to happen. 

That's really all I can say about this book without giving things away. I really enjoyed how animals were involved in this (horses are a very important part of Georgia's life) and I was absolutely glued to this book. I read this one in two days and didn't want it to end. I am definitely going to pick up book two in this series and some more emotionally gut-wrenching stories from Amy Harmon.



2 comments:

  1. Awesome review. I've had this book for forever but I haven't read it yet. I need to SOON. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I just would like to give a huge thumbs up for the great info you have here on this post. I will be coming back to your blog for more soon.

    Click Here
    Lajamjournal.org

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...