Thursday, April 27, 2017

Book Review: PS I Like You by Kasie West

PS I Like You
By Kacie West
Release Date: July 26, 2016
Source: Thriftbooks
Signed, sealed, delivered…

While spacing out in chemistry class, Lily scribbles some of her favorite song lyrics onto her desk. The next day, she finds that someone has continued the lyrics on the desk and added a message to her. Intrigue!

Soon, Lily and her anonymous pen pal are exchanging full-on letters—sharing secrets, recommending bands, and opening up to each other. Lily realizes she’s kind of falling for this letter writer. Only, who is he? As Lily attempts to unravel the mystery and juggle school, friends, crushes, and her crazy family, she discovers that matters of the heart can’t always be spelled out…

To say that I had high expectations for this book would be an understatement. I've read one Kasie West book and really enjoyed it, so I was excited to read this one. Throw in the fact that this has over a 4 star rating on Goodreads and I thought I was going to love it. Sadly, the main character just didn't mesh with me. 

Lily hates Chemistry and the only way she can survive is writing song lyrics in her notebook. But when her teacher takes her notebook away, Lily starts doodling on her desk to pass the time. When she comes back the next day, she's shocked to find someone has finished the lyrics on the desk. Soon, Lily and her seat mate are exchanging notes and talking about music and life in general. Lily feels a real connection with her pen pal and starts to develop a crush, but she has no idea who he is. When Lily uncovers his identity, will she like who he is and, more importantly, will he like the real her? 

This book sounded so so so good. I love the movie You've Got Mail and this one sounded just like it. Two people are exchanging letters and have no idea who each other are. It's so much easier to tell your darkest secrets and insecurities to someone you don't ever have to meet in person. I don't know if it's because I'm outgrowing YA, but I really didn't like Lily's character from the start. She was so whiny and judgmental and I really didn't like how she badmouthed other characters. Lily had strong opinions about certain people in this novel and it was shoved down our throats. I get that she was supposed to not like a certain character for a reason, but it didn't have to be so extreme and juvenile. 

As the book progressed and Lily found out who her pen pal was, I actually did start to enjoy the book a little bit more. Lily kind of started to mature and I thought how she started falling for the real person behind the letters was cute. I still, though, couldn't fully connect with Lily's character or care about her problems. I just expected a more mature main character than the one we were given. 

Overall, this one was a huge disappointment for me. While the end did redeem the story a little, I was still disappointed with the main character and how judgmental she was. I couldn't relate to Lily or care enough about her as a person to enjoy her story. I'm hoping I can still try out some more Kasie West books, but this one was a miss for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...